Garden Planning

Garden Chores

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Indoor Gardening

I am ready to get my indoor garden going:-) I am so excited to start!! Let me show you what I did:-)

I keep my seeds in my grandma's old recipe box. I staple each seed packet to an index card and file them alphabetically. That way, they are easier to find.



The index card includes information that I would like to track. Obviously, the name of the seed goes on top. Next, I record the date that I started the seeds or the "Sown" date. Then, I write down when they "Sprouted". Once they are big enough, I notate when they are trans- "Planted" into a bigger container. And finally, I celebrate the "Harvest" date.


I start the seeds using:

I put the mix inside small plastic pots that I have santized (1 part bleach to 9 parts water). Then, I label each pot with a popicle stick so, I can remember what is what. The pots go inside a tray and then I water them. That way, any drainage, goes right into the tray.



Next, I place the tray under my grow light. This is a two-shelf unit that my husband built for me in our basement a couple years ago. The pots go on the bottom shelf and the light hangs from chains on the top shelf. The chains are adjustable so when your plants grow, you can raise the light. Lastly, the "walls" of the shelving unit is curtained in relective paper to keep the light and the heat in.



This is what it look like when the curtains are closed:


So, there you have it. By next week, I should have some pictures of sprouting plants! Wish me luck:-)

20 comments:

brettinsky said...

Impressive! What don't you do?

Frizzy and Bird said...

I'm with brettinsky! What don't you do and how come you make it sound so easy? What have you planted and do you really need to start this early for next year? Maybe you plan to use the plants until next year's growing season. I honestly don't know how long these things take. I'm still keeping my one and only plant alive. It's oregano.

Alicia said...

Wow!!!! I am impressed like you wouldn't believe!!!!!!!!

Charlotte said...

That's quite the ingenuous setup you have there. Looks like it works great! I'm constantly amazed by everything you have time to do.

Controlling My Chaos said...

Very cool, you have quite the set-up. Thanks for sharing it with us. You know I've been waiting for it.

Amy said...

Thats neat, can't wait to see what comes up :D

Karla said...

I cannot believe how organized you are....you are making me look soooooo bad!!!!

Good luck on your plants!!!

EmmaP said...

wow - this IS like rocket science! I am in awe! can't wait to see the produce!!!

Shanna said...

What a cool idea! I love the recipe box you keep the packets in...meaningful, old and re-used. Perfect!

Thanks for the compliment on my story today ;)

Jennifer and Sandi said...

Holy Heck...that is one fine growing operation you have there!

LUCK!!!

- Jennifer

Kat said...

Wow! I am so not a gardener. I would buy all the supplies. And then they would sit there for a few years. And then I'd give them to good will :-) I am such a slacker.

Now...do tell me why you need to sanatize the pots...

Pennies In My Pocket said...

Well, look at you, you little clever thing, you! WOW! I'm beyond impressed!

Kristi said...

Okay, so I can hardly wait until next week! This is soooooo cool!!!

Hippie Family... said...

you are so awesome!!!!I love that...

Tiffiney said...

now that is a nice set up...wow...

Jen said...

Awesome that your hubby made that for you! Can't wait to see your progress this winter!

Connie said...

Hi Susie & Thanks for stopping by. I've been slacking lately but now that I see your INDOOR GARDEN I feel pretty darn lazy. I did stop in Hobby Lobby today to buy some fake plants & flowers ... does that count? Nothing like tropical plants and fake roses for the Midwest winter right?!

Liz said...

That is awesome, Susie. I can't wait to see how your plants progress. I think I might be inspired to try out my own!

newlyweds said...

Great job, what a nifty lighting system you have. I am glad you shared this post. I would love to see an update on how the plants are doing!

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

That's amazing! Very cool.

Post a Comment

Susie's Homemade ECookbook

 
Powered by Blogger