Garden Planning

Garden Chores

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Don't Forget to Save Those Seeds!!!

Remember this post from last year???

"Gardening is a way to say that you believe in tomorrow." If that saying is true, than I believe! And if that is true, I need to save some seeds to have tomatoes tomorrow...or in this case, the spring.

Saving seeds is easy if you follow these steps:

1. Seed a tomato


2. Place said seed into a very fine sieve:


3. Rinse the seeds gently. The goal here is to remove the gelatinous material that the seeds swim in and the thin membrane around each seed. This takes longer than you think because those membranes can be really stubborn. For the really difficult ones, you can gently rub them between two paper towels. This is what it looks like before and after:


4. Dry them on a paper plate. See how many seeds I got from a half of a tomato?


5. Once they are dried, wrap the seeds in a paper towel and place them in a labeled food storage bag.

6. Store them in the refrigorator until them at ready to plant in the spring.


Happy Saving:-)

9 comments:

sandhya@vegetarianirvana said...

Thank you for this info.Is there a time in the season to harvest for the best seeds? Will definitely attempt.
Thanks, S

thotlady said...

When you wrap them in the paper towel to put in the frig, is the paper towel wet or dry?

scrapchick said...

Oh thanks! I will show this post to the DH!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love that expression. Its so cheerful.

Lee said...

Thanks for this. I'm gonna try this this fall. I'm excited.

Candi said...

We saved green beans last year, but this year the beans got huge before we can actually eat them. I think we'll try using them again next year. Thanks for the reminder, I almost forgot!

Alicia said...

I totally remember this post!!!!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I never thought about saving the seeds.

Alea said...

I do this with heirloom varieties, but not with hybrids as the seeds do not always replicate the plants they came from.

Post a Comment

Susie's Homemade ECookbook

 
Powered by Blogger